Private Client Services
Our passion for helping high-net-worth and high-profile individuals succeed in their financial and professional lives is at the core of Marks Paneth’s Private Client Services offerings. We understand that to achieve your objectives, you need much more than an accountant – you need an advisor who knows you.
By understanding the people behind the numbers, our experienced High-Net-Worth and Family Office specialists are better able to develop plans, strategies and recommendations that address each client’s specific situation and maximize their greatest areas of opportunity.
This personal approach is augmented by our deep technical expertise, regulatory knowledge, value-add consulting services and decades of experience in tax planning, wealth preservation and transfer, planned giving and family office services.
Trusts and Estates
- Lifetime gift planning and post-mortem trust and estate planning
- Assistance with charitable planning and the creation of charitable trusts and private foundations
- Consulting on the creation and administration of family limited partnerships
- Assistance in the marshalling of assets and related administration
- Preparation of fiduciary accountings (judicial and informal) for trusts, estates and guardianships
- Expert witness testimony and related fiduciary litigation support services
- Cash flow analysis
Tax planning and compliance services
- Preparation of tax returns for individuals, partnerships and LLCs
- Preparation of corporate tax returns, including C Corps and S Corps
- Preparation of estate tax, gift tax and fiduciary income tax returns and related filings
- Tax planning and projections
- Advising on tax strategies to meet philanthropic goals
- Tax controversy (federal and state tax examinations and appeals)
- Preparation of tax returns for charitable trusts and private foundations
- Transactional tax planning and strategies
- Due diligence in the M&A process
Business management & family office services
- Consulting on business transactions and operations
- Bill payment and cash flow management
- General bookkeeping
- Management of personal and family employees
- Payroll administration
- Concierge Services
- Assistance with purchases and sales of homes, investments and other assets
- Assistance with insurance needs
Group LeadersRobert J. Hughes
Principal-in-Charge, High-Net-Worth Group
Robert Hughes, EA, is a Principal at Marks Paneth LLP. In this capacity, he handles state, local and federal tax filings, specializing in high-net-worth individuals, estates, trusts and private foundations.
Mr. Hughes began his career with the IRS where he progressed from an entry-level position in the error correction department to a senior position as Office Auditor. He also has extensive experience working in the tax departments of several high-profile banks where he managed tax compliance activities for high-net-worth individuals. In 1997, Mr. Hughes joined Marks Paneth as a Manager. He was quickly promoted to Senior Manager and then to Principal just a few years later.
Partner-in-Charge, Business Management and Family Office, Hospitality Group Leader
Lawrence Cohen, CPA, is the Partner-in-Charge of the Business Management and Family Office Group at Marks Paneth LLP. He also serves as the firm’s Hospitality Group Leader. He rejoined the firm in 2009 after having served for many years as the President and Chief Executive Officer of The Griffin Group, the private equity investment and management company of the late Merv Griffin that invested in a variety of industries including media, entertainment and hospitality.
In his role leading the Business Management and Family Office Group, Mr. Cohen draws on his deep experience running Merv Griffin’s Family Office as well as advising high-net-worth individuals, entrepreneurs, CEOs and CFOs on business strategy.